Friday, November 8, 2013

Living a Dream Come True - Without Fighting God


 There is no end of beauty where I live. If you like nature and the outdoors, then Michigan is a paradise. In two minutes I am "in the country". My town is comprised of First Street through Fifth Street and assorted cross streets, one traffic light, no grocery store (as of this posting), but a fire department, a fish and tackle store, a small marina, larger harbor, an exceedingly long pier and assorted unsophisticated eateries where small town friendliness is everything and culinary expertise comes in - well second... except for Smalley's Bar & Grille which has the United States best burger!

I thought I would post some of my favorite photos of life in utopia. There is an utter lack of sophistication in a small farming community such as this. What I have discovered is that where you live pretty much dictates your life's priorities - and I don't think it is supposed to work like that.

When I read the Bible, I understand that we are not to be "conformed to this world" and when I lived in a large urban area - I thought that phrase mean the BIG sins like sexual immorality - having a foul mouth - lying, stealing, cheating, etc etc. But now living in a non-urban area - I've discovered that "not being conformed to this world" has a realm of possibilities. For example, in Atlanta, my life revolved around my worrying about my weight, whether I had make-up on, whether I could afford high-quality clothes, keeping my car sparkling clean, getting my hair done in a high-end salon, and earlier - keeping the yard well-manicured, participating whenever a group of people had lunch together... blah blah blah. Now - I haven't washed my car in two months - we drive on dirt roads between fields of corn, sugar beats, and winter wheat. Nobody seems to understand the "healthy eating movement" - everyone is solidly built - and farmers all show the effects of a hard life in their lined faces - but neither they or their wives are keeling over from not eating sprouts and organic smoothies. In fact everyone around here over the age of 60 seems to be healthier than some urban people in their 40s. A subjective remark to be sure - but true none the less. Just maybe - to not be conformed to this world - means more than just avoidance of breaking the ten commandments or "lusting in your heart" after an attractive woman or man. Maybe it means something like getting off your high horse and stop trying to maintain a mask of sophistication. Maybe it means - it's ok to look like yourself instead of a Barbie doll with wicked cool clothes, a painted make-up face, and hair to dye (sic) for. Maybe it's ok to be a young woman in her late 20's getting rounder and softer after 3 or 4 kids and having a hard-working husband who loves her. Sorry folks but there is no zero-population, 2.0 kids in this part of the world. Here, couples seem to marry young, have several kids, and grow old together - all the while not washing their cars every week and letting their hair go gray (I'm working on it, Lord).

And here are my pictures of life in utopia...
Port Austin Farmer's Market
Lighthouse Road, Point Aux Barques, Michigan

Doe and Yearlings - Point Aux Barques State Park, Michigan
Autumn Fields

Hwy 53 - The Road to Bad Axe, Michigan

Leaf Piles - The Last Vestiges of Autumn

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment